Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Making meatballs can be messy but sure is cheaper than buying pre-made meatballs :)  Usually I would buy a huge amount of lean ground beef to freeze in portions for future use.  Today, I decided to defrost 2 portions (each portion fills up about 3/4 size of a sandwich ziploc bag) to make meatballs.

Meatballs
lean ground beef
seasoning salt
chilli pepper
basil
rice krisipie (crushed)
1-2 eggs
shredded cheese

I used rice krisipie as we didn't have crackers or bread at home to make crumbs.  I ended up using the 3 egg yolks leftover from the egg whites used for my meringue.  Mixed everything together, made them into balls, and baked them in the oven at 300F for about 15-20 min.  

For the rest of the meal, made the spaghetti and pasta sauce (was not that adventurous...as in not homemade). I added the meatballs and chopped spinach to the pasta sauce and allowed the sauce to simmer for a bit.  Then portioned the spaghetti and meatballs into a bake-able container and sprinkled the top with shredded cheese.  Baked in the oven for about 5-10 min (until cheese melted).

Before
After

 

No comments: