Saturday, March 17, 2012

Apple Cranberry Phyllo Turnover

I forgot I had a pack of phyllo pastry in my freezer until hubby mentioned it a few days ago.  It was quite peeved with me that I often buy things on sale and then forget to use them.  Not wanting to make him too mad, I promised him that I would use it this weekend - hence phyllo turnover.

I took my recipe idea from here

INGREDIENTS:
4-5 apples, peeled and diced (I used granny smith and mcintosh)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
phyllo dough
melted butter

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a pot, heat apples and cranberries over medium heat.  Add butter, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Stir and let apple soften for about 10 min.  Add cornstarch and stir - turn off stove and set pot aside.

Take a sheet of phyllo - brush melted butter on half of it and fold phyllo in half.  Repeat that again brushing butter and fold in half.  Fold phyllo once more in half and use a knife to cut in half on the folded line.  Brush phyllo with butter and add apple filling. Take top left corner and fold down to middle and take top right corner and fold down to the middle, forming a triangle.

Repeat the above steps until all the topping has been used up.  Please note that each time you use a phyllo sheet, place a wet cloth over the non-used ones to prevent them from drying out.

Place turnovers on baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 min or until brown and flaky.

THOUGHTS:
I love it! It was nice and tart with a twinge of sweetness.  If you prefer to have it sweeter, then add more sugar.  The phyllo dough makes the turnover a lot lighter than your usual pastry puff.

 

No comments: